Advanced professional practice in the discipline of social work involves the continuous development of knowledge for practice. Leadership in social work requires experience, in-depth advanced practice study and sophisticated research skills.
In this Social Work Professional Doctorate (PrDoc) at the University of New South Wales , in-depth advanced practice study is achieved in the specialised coursework component, which builds on foundational social work education and the experience gained through professional practice.
This advanced practice study provides the basis for a contribution to social work knowledge through empirical or conceptual research. The thesis study component of the program develops the sophisticated research skills necessary for an original and significant contribution to social work knowledge.
The Social Work (PrDoc) program as a whole prepares experienced practitioners for research and practice leadership in the discipline of social work.
Graduates of this program will have:
- a substantial body of knowledge in one area of advanced social work practice, including knowledge generated through their own original research
- substantial knowledge of research principles applicable to a selected field of advanced social work practice.
- The 48 UOC coursework will be taken within the Master of Counselling Social Work OR the Master of Development Studies OR the Master of Public Policy and Governance.
- The program of study should be approved by the relevant Masters Convenor and the Social Work (PrDoc) Program Convenor.
- In the research component, which is 96 UOC, students undertake supervised research leading to the production of a thesis.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS Provider Code: 00098G
- A social work qualification established by eligibility for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers, or membership of an equivalent overseas professional social work association
- A minimum 2 years post-qualifying professional social work practice experience
- A first or upper-second class (Distinction) thesis research Honours degree (minimum thesis wordlength: 10,000 words) OR a Masters (Coursework) degree with a distinction average and a significant research component, minimum equivalent 18 unit of credit content, consisting of methodology training and a stand-alone research project.
Living costs for Canberra
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.