It draws upon a number of different sciences (including developmental, social, career and neuropsychology and personality theory) to develop critically astute researchers and exceptionally skilled clinicians. Building on the M.A. in Counselling Psychology (Project concentration), or equivalent, the program offers opportunities in Practicum, Supervision, and full-year Internships to develop clinical skills while also working toward the completion of a doctoral dissertation (thesis). The Ph.D. program, has the following aims:
- To contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field of counselling psychology.
- To practise from a strong evidence base.
- To take a leadership role in community, professional, and university organizations in counselling psychology.
Graduates of the program will be prepared to assume careers in education and community settings, including faculty positions, counselling and psychological positions on the staff of university and college mental health centres, and professional positions in psychological agencies offering preventative mental health services. The program is currently accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA), and the Ordre des psychologues du Québec (OPQ) (Please note that the APA no longer accredits programs outside of the United States of America). Graduates are eligible for licensure in Quebec.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Comprehensive Examination
- Assessment & Diagnosis
- Theory / Models: Family Therapy
- Consultation and Program Evaluation
- Doctoral Field Experience
- Proposal Preparation and Defense
- Neurological Bases of Behaviour Across Lifespan
- Pre-doctoral Internship
- Univariate/Multivariate Analysis
- Applied Multivariate Statistics
- Online application and application fee
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Writing sample/portfolio
- A research supervisor
- Study permits/student visas
International19082 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9541 CAD per semester and a duration of 36 months.
National4782 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2391 CAD per semester and a duration of 36 months.
McGill University is committed to provide financial support for graduate education. Through Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) and other academic units, McGill is working to increase the number of student fellowships and scholarships, exploring new avenues for student support, and making it easier to disburse existing funds. Our competitive funding support offers, coupled with Montreal’s low cost of living, makes graduate studies at McGill a wise educational investment.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.