The Ph.D. in History at the McGill University is a professional degree program that prepares students for participation in the academy as historians. They gain competence in historical methods and good control over at least three fields of study. The dissertation is a work of primary research that makes a significant contribution to knowledge.
- Candidates in the field of Medical History will prepare the major field for the comprehensive examination with a member of the Department of Social Studies of Medicine and the two minor fields with members of the Department of History and Classical Studies.
- The thesis will normally be directed by the director of the major field. In all other respects, the same rules will apply to candidates in this area as apply to other Ph.D. students in History.
- Doctoral Seminar
- Comprehensive Examination - Major Field
- Comprehensive Examination - First Minor Field
- Comprehensive Examination - Second Minor Field
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Modern History View 6 other PhDs in History in Canada
- Online application and application fee
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Writing sample/portfolio
- A research supervisor
- Study permits/student visas
International20972 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10486 CAD per semester during 36 months.
National5602 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2801 CAD per semester during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.