The program focuses on quantitative and qualitative methodology and sub-fields within the discipline. The dissertation should represent a unique contribution to the discipline and to the sub-field.
The Ph.D. in Sociology at McGill University focuses on quantitative and qualitative methodology and sub-fields within the discipline. The dissertation should represent a unique contribution to the discipline and to the sub-field.
A thesis for the doctoral degree must constitute original scholarship and must be a distinct contribution to knowledge. It must show familiarity with previous work in the field and must demonstrate ability to plan and carry out research, organize results, and defend the approach and conclusions in a scholarly manner.
The research presented must meet current standards of the discipline; as well, the thesis must clearly demonstrate how the research advances knowledge in the field. Finally, the thesis must be written in compliance with norms for academic and scholarly expression and for publication in the public domain.
- Professional Development Seminar in Sociology
- Ph.D. Proposal Approval
- Bibliographic Methods
- PhD Comprehensive Examination
- Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy
- Sociology of Fertility
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies Sociology Political Science View 4 other PhDs in Sociology in Canada
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree with a standing equivalent to a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.3 or better out of a possible 4.0. The degree may be either in Sociology or in another relevant social science. In the latter case, applicants may be required to take some additional sociology courses to fill gaps in their background.
- All applicants are asked to submit a writing sample. Applicants who have not received a degree from a Canadian university must submit with their applications the results of the Verbal, Analytical, and Quantitative aptitude tests of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Certain students must submit documented proof of competency in oral and written English.
- Personal Statement (maximum 1,000 words)
- Writing Sample - can be in the form of a graded paper or a chapter from a thesis and must be at least 30 typewritten pages in length translated into English or French
International16750 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8375 CAD per semester during 36 months.
National2726 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1363 CAD per semester during 36 months.
McGill University is committed to provide financial support for graduate education. Through Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) and other academic units, McGill is working to increase the number of student fellowships and scholarships, exploring new avenues for student support, and making it easier to disburse existing funds. Our competitive funding support offers, coupled with Montreal’s low cost of living, makes graduate studies at McGill a wise educational investment.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.