Thesis projects, available in the various laboratories of the Department, ensure that Experimental Surgery students at McGill University receive in-depth training and exposure to varied conceptual frameworks and a wide array of experimental strategies.
The scope of the research and close connections with other Montreal research centres and McGill departments provide ample opportunities for collaboration. Research in the Department covers a wide spectrum, including injury, repair, recovery, tissue engineering, transplantation, fibrosis, cancer and stem cell biology, biomechanics, organ failure, surgical stimulation, surgical innovation, education, and evaluative/outcomes research.
A thesis for the doctoral degree must constitute original scholarship and must be a distinct contribution to knowledge. It must show familiarity with previous work in the field and must demonstrate ability to plan and carry out research, organize results, and defend the approach and conclusions in a scholarly manner.
The research presented must meet current standards of the discipline; as well, the thesis must clearly demonstrate how the research advances knowledge in the field. Finally, the thesis must be written in compliance with norms for academic and scholarly expression and for publication in the public domain.
- Comprehensive Examination
- Statistics for Practitioners
- Biostats for Health Sciences
- Statistics for Surgical Research
- Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Quantitative Research Methods
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Statistics Health Sciences View 7 other PhDs in Health Sciences in Canada
- Admission is usually through one of the M.Sc. programs, either upon completion of the M.Sc. degree, or by transfer from the first year of M.Sc. to the second year of Ph.D. studies, within the Department. Request for such transfer is to be made in writing by the thesis supervisor during the candidate's first year of M.Sc. studies.
- A candidate for transfer must submit an application to the doctoral program according to normal procedures and deadlines. Transfer is granted on the basis of an examination administered by the student's Research Advisory Committee. Exceptional students with a minimum 3.5/4.0 CGPA may apply directly to the Ph.D. program.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Project Proposal
- Confirmation of Supervisor
- Letter of Understanding
- Tuition Assistance
International16750 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8375 CAD per semester during 48 months.
National2726 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1363 CAD per semester during 48 months.
McGill University is committed to provide financial support for graduate education. Through Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) and other academic units, McGill is working to increase the number of student fellowships and scholarships, exploring new avenues for student support, and making it easier to disburse existing funds. Our competitive funding support offers, coupled with Montreal’s low cost of living, makes graduate studies at McGill a wise educational investment.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.