The main aspects of the scientific design of the joint doctoral programme, and its added value in relation to the existing European and national courses in the concerned countries are the following:
The Human Rights, Society, and Multi-Level Governance programme from University of Nicosia will produce researchers with a multi/interdisciplinary profile. The doctorate programme is assumed to organize teaching, research and training in the area of human rights studies, covering the legal, political, social, philosophical and economic approaches and methodologies in different geographical areas. Law, politics, economics and sociology are the main disciplines involved. Both theoretical dimensions and practical analyses will be given relevance in the overall approach to be embraced.
The doctoral programme shall address the multi-level dimensions of human rights implementation policies. Focusing on the most innovative and critical developments, research will delve into the areas of human rights’ concern and critically assess the effectiveness, impact, and consistency of doctrines and practices.
The doctoral programme will be organized around the fundamental dimensions of contemporary multi-level governance in light of the subsidiarity principle. Accordingly, the focus will be on: the global dimension (the UN and UN-family legal frameworks, institutions, policies and practices); the European regional context and its global impact as well as other regional systems; the national-level dimension with the possibility of a comparative approach; and, the local-level community actors and dynamics (cities, regions, transboundary territories). Both institutions and private actors’ roles will be addressed, such as transnational civil society, social movements, religious and cultural groups, NGOs, corporate companies.
Τhe programme aims to offer the highest level of scientific knowledge in the field and to prepare students for a career in tertiary education and scientific research. Students are expected to conduct state-of-the-art research that advances original and practically applicable solutions to scientific problems. Graduates of the program will be able to demonstrate aptitude in the preparation, execution and management of an independent research study, and to disseminate their findings to the wider academic community through publishing their work in academic journals and/or giving presentations in academic conferences and seminars.
There is no other program with a specific focus on human rights, society and multi-level governance in Cyprus, not only at the doctoral level but at any level of tertiary education. That will make the graduates of the programme uniquely qualified and possessing a competitive edge in an emerging academic discipline and environment. In addition, the interdisciplinary nature of the subject matter and the structure of the programme will develop skills and competencies that enhance graduates’ employability prospects; not only is this combination of disciplinary approaches not offered in a similar fashion at the national level but – in fact – such programs are relatively rare both at the regional and at the international level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureUpon successful completion of this program, the students should be able to:
- Be specifically trained in case-analysis, project-setting and problem-solving contexts.
- Acquire research skills and analytical competences to address the socio-political challenges posed by the processes of implementation and contextualization of human rights standards and policies.
- Acquire the competence necessary to analyze and evaluate the quality and effectiveness of public policies carried out by intergovernmental, state and sub-state entities, including the EU institutions and organs, as well as the role of non-state actors, including corporate organizations, civil society organizations, communities, human rights activists’ networks.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
Application Deadlines for European and Local Students - Please call the Office of Admissions
DisciplinesSocial Work Area & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Academic Qualifications: An accredited Bachelor’s degree in Law, Politics, International Relations, European Studies, Public Administration or a related field (LLB, BA, BSc or equivalent) in addition to an accredited Master’s degree in Law, Politics, International Relations, European Studies, Public Administration or a related field (LLM, MA, MSc or equivalent). Copies of degrees awarded must be submitted as part of a complete application package.
- Application form: Applicants must submit an application form for admission and enrolment to the programme. The application form requests general information about the applicant, their qualifications, and relevant experience.
- Curriculum vitae: a complete CV specifying all academic and professional background and activities.
- Letters of Recommendation: Applicants must obtain two recommendation letters from individuals who have known the applicant in an educational and/or professional environment.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
EU/EEA4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
Living costs for Nicosia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.