The School of Engineering and Physical Sciences places a very high value on enabling people to obtain a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) degree by research and is pleased to be able to extend this facility to students on the Dubai Campus.
Initially, those with an interest in undertaking a project in the broad area of energy are encouraged to apply. This may include renewable energy, energy utilisation and energy conservation as well as improved materials for energy production and conversion (for example, the development of nanocomposite carbide coatings).
Students of the Engineering and Physical Sciences programme from Heriot-Watt University Dubai will be working under the supervision of an expert academic supervisor based at the Dubai Campus and supported by a second supervisor in Edinburgh. In addition to time spent doing research project work, students will engage with scientific literature and participate in research group discussions and meetings using electronic communications.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
Research topics for PhD supervision
- Surface coatings for use in energy, biomedical and transportation engineering. Typical examples include surface engineered components for gas turbines, solar panels, human implants and rotating machines.
- Micromechanics of engineering systems.
- Contact mechanics and high-speed impacts.
- Tribology of interacting surfaces including gears, bearings and oil drilling applications.
- Investigation of thermal conductivities and heat transfer rate of direct absorption solar collector with the help of nanofluids technology.
- Aerodynamic optimisation for drag reduction of heavy vehicles by means of passive devices such as boat-tails
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Interested applicants should complete the online application form, making clear on the form that you are applying to study at the Dubai Campus.
- Copies of full academic transcripts from all previous academic degree courses and copies of certificates for degrees already awarded.
- Confirmation of funding source and/or confirmation of sponsorship/sufficient funds to pursue studies.
- A detailed research proposal.
International19630 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19630 EUR per year during 36 months.
National19630 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19630 EUR per year during 36 months.
AED 81900 per year
Living costs for Dubai
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.