- To provide high quality research training in a lively intellectual atmosphere
- To promote students’ professional involvement in academic life
- And to ensure that students will make a contribution to the understanding and well being of contemporary societies
By the end of their time as a research postgraduate student in the Department it is our goal that students will:
- Have completed a thesis which is a high quality piece of orginal sociological analysis and is at least partly publishable in a peer-reviewed academic outlet
- Have developed and demonstrated a significant level of skill in at least one methodology of sociological research and analysis
- Have a broad knowledge of a number of sub-fields within sociology
- And have had the opportunity to develop teaching and administrative skills and experience
- Third Level Teaching
- Policy Analysis
- Private, Community and Voluntary Sectors
- Media and New Technology
- Urban, Rural and Community Planning
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Innovation and Research Commercialisation
- Research Funding Application
- Media Research Methods
- The Craft and Logics of Social Research
- Advanced Digital Research Methods
- Qualitative Methods
- The Political Economy and Cultures of the Internet
- Intimate Lives: Relationships, Citizenship and Embodiment
- Nature and Society
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 4 other PhDs in Sociology in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Minimum 2.1 degree in BA or MA in Sociology or Cognate subject. Applications with equivalent learning are also welcomed.
- Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
- Applicants are advised to contact the Department to discuss their research topic before submitting a required research proposal of 7-10 pages duration. Please see course website for further details.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 48 months.
Part time EU: 4330 EUR
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.