To this end, the Classics programme from Maynooth University seeks to equip students with the necessary skills in research, academic writing, and the ancient languages, along with any other specialist training required for their particular project. Above all, the Department aims to provide the opportunity for students to pursue their own specific research interests, working independently under the supervision of members of staff who will provide detailed guidance, advice, and feedback on the students' work. The primary objective is the production of a substantial contribution to original scholarship in Classics in the form of a thesis.
Over the course of the Structured PhD programme students will acquire the habit of independent study and research, along with the capacity to express their ideas effectively and to build upon (and assign due credit to) the research of others. By the end of the programme, they will also have acquired the necessary linguistic and technical competences to be able to engage at an appropriate level with professional scholars.
University teaching and research, schoolteaching, and numerous other professions for which high-level writing and research skills are a desideratum.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Certificate in Postgraduate Teaching & Learning : Tutors & Demonstrators
- Ancient Greek
- Greek Text
- Greek Text (Advanced)
- Independent Greek Textual Study
- Research Funding Application
- Latin Text
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies General Studies & Classics Literature View 8 other PhDs in Language Studies in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants for the PhD in Classics are normally expected to have achieved a first-class or high upper-second-class result at the MA level; occasionally an appropriately qualified student may be admitted directly to the PhD from an undergraduate degree. Except in exceptional circumstances, no applicant will be admitted to the PhD without a prior knowledge of Greek or Latin at a level deemed appropriate.
- Applicants must have a qualification at least equivalent to an upper-second-class pass in the 200-level course in Greek or Latin (as appropriate), and an appropriate number of modules at the 300-level in the same language, or equivalent, must be passed before the degree can be awarded.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 48 months.
- Part-time EU: 4,330 Euro
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.