The research profiles of staff members are very varied, covering applied linguistics, sociolinguistics, second language acquisition, corpus linguistics, bi- and multilingualism, second language pedagogy, intercultural studies, intercultural competence and the role of English in a globalised world.
Research in related areas is also welcome, including language-specific research in applied linguistics and intercultural studies in (or through) German, Spanish or French.
The PhD in Applied Linguistics and Intercultural Studies at the Maynooth University equips its students for entry into a number of career paths, as well as providing existing practitioners and professionals with an opportunity for continuous professional development.
These include: teaching at various levels (particularly university), school management, the business world, politics, publishing and marketing, the media, public relations, journalism, materials development, adult education and support, and indeed further study to postdoc level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Innovation And Research Commercialisation
- Issues And Strategies In Contemporary Modern Language Studies
- Research Skills / Research Methodology
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Topics In Linguistic Anthropology
- Professional Skills - Thesis Completion And Career Development
- Qualitative Methods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 3 other Masters in Linguistics in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- MA in Chinese Studies, MA in French, MA in German, MA in Spanish, MA in Applied Linguistics (with at least a II.2 degree respectively), or equivalent.
- Students who do not hold an MA or equivalent qualification (only admitted in exceptional cases) may be required to take modules from the SMLLC MA programme. Students may, in consultation with their supervisor and the Head of School, take additional MA modules.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during .
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during .
Part-time: 4,330 Euro
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.