The Forest Science program of the Northern Arizona University trains students for positions such as professor, instructor, conservation specialist, post-doctoral researcher, and forest health specialist in governmental and non-governmental agencies and organizations.
The PhD program is appropriate for students with a Master’s degree in Forestry or closely related disciplines. Students lacking a Master’s but having a Bachelor’s degree may be eligible for admission if they have significant research and experience beyond the Bachelor’s degree. PhD students are expected to generate original scientific ideas and knowledge, have a command of the literature, and have advanced skills in designing, analyzing, and interpreting research, scientific writing, and college teaching.
The PhD program emphasizes training in the focus areas of ecosystem, forest management, and forest social sciences; college teaching; research methods and statistics; quantitative analysis; professional presentations; emerging issues in forestry; and electives that provide advanced training in specific skills. The dissertation showcases student’s command of the literature; generation of original scientific ideas; research design, execution, analysis, and interpretation; and scientific writing.
- Forestry Seminar Series
- Research Methods
- Teaching Practicum
- Quantitative Biology
- Quantitative Analysis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSoil Science Natural Sciences Forestry View 26 other PhDs in Natural Sciences in United States
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent
- English language proficiency
- GRE revised General Test
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Demonstrated competence in scientific research usually through completion of a Master of Science (thesis option).
- Prerequisites (may be completed concurrently with the program): 15 hours of Forestry coursework
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Statement of research interests
- All applicants should make contact with potential faculty members in the department before applying
International25708 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25708 USD per year during 24 months.
National25708 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25708 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State10480 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10480 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Flagstaff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.