Maintenance is an essential part of daily life.. This is reflected in the economic importance that maintenance has: € 400 billion of invested capital, annual cost of € 18 billion and more than 150,000 workplaces (in the Netherlands).
In practice, maintenance is often carried out on the basis of empirical approaches and experiences from the past. As a result, maintenance is a static process, which currently heavily relies on empirical data.
Therefore, a leap forward in terms of efficiency and effectiveness must be made. This requires the right awareness among both the designer of the system as well the designer of the maintenance process regarding the physical principles behind the necessity of doing maintenance.
The Maintenance programme from University of Twente (UT) is a two year post master programme that consists of three blocks: a block professional development, a block with in-depth and broadening courses and the technological design project. These blocks with a total of 120 EC can run parallel to each other.
The block with in-depth and broadening courses can partly be tailored to the technological design project. Gained skills in professional development and gained knowledge from in-depth and broadening courses are employed in the design project. During the design project, you transfer results into technological innovation in industry or society.
The compulsory block includes three courses:
- Systems Design & Engineering
- Two courses which can be chosen from a set of four courses: Failure Mechanisms and Life Prediction, Structural Health and Condition Monitoring, Design for Maintenance, and Maintenance Strategies and Engineering.
- Some compulsory courses are Master courses that needs to be accompanied with assignments, specific for the PDEng trainee. The compulsory courses will always be at a post-master level.
- For the elective block (15-19 EC), together with the direct supervisors you can select courses which are of interest for the technological design project.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 12 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Candidates will be tested based on these selection criteria:
- CV candidate, with special attention to: results MSc; other diplomas, courses; and years and type of work experience (if applicable)
- Motivation candidate, with special focus on demonstrable affinity with design and multidisciplinary assignments
- Professional skills, such as English language skills, communication and interpersonal skills, teamwork, initiative and self-reflection
- Letter(s) of recommendation senior / graduate professor
Living costs for Enschede
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.