The Computer Science program of the Nazarbayev University focuses on the development of an in-depth understanding of the nature, implementation, and evaluation of computing principles and applications together with the growth of research skills. The current areas of research interest for the PhD in Computer Science encompass a wide spectrum, with a specific focus on artificial intelligence, systems, data analytics, information security, and smart cities.
By the completion of the PhD program, students will be capable of designing and conducting independent, innovative, original and high-quality research in computer science. In addition, program graduates will be prepared for working in industrial and academic environments, e.g., as university faculty members, senior researchers, engineers and product developers.
Program Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the program, the students will be able to:
- Review, analyse, and evaluate the body of scientific literature in their field of study in Computer Science;
- Identify appropriate research topics in their field of study in Computer Science, and generate hypotheses about such topics;
- Plan, develop, analyse and communicate research in writing and verbally independently;
- Make an original contribution to the knowledge in their area of specialization within Computer Science;
- Judge technically and ethically and relate their research to the broader field of knowledge in their Computer Science sub-discipline;
- Develop their academic/scholarly career through presentations, publications, and national and international networking.
- Research Methods & Ethics
- Current Research Literature
- Thesis Research
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
Please contact the school for more information.
DisciplinesElectrical Engineering Computer Sciences Artificial Intelligence
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An undergraduate degree
- A Master’s degree or equivalent
- A competitive CGPA in applicant’s Master’s (or equivalent) degree
- High level of English proficiency
- High motivation and a strong interest in the Program as outlined in a statement of purpose
- Research proposal
- Two letters of recommendation (one from an academic source)
- Complete Application form
- National ID (for the citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan) and passport (for international applicants)
- Statement of purpose outlining the applicant’s prior educational career, statement of his/her interest in the Program, his/her long-term career goals, and how the program would help him/her to achieve these goals (500 words)
- 2350-11750 USD per one academic year depending on a discount applied.
- Scholarships are available.
Living costs for Nur-Sultan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.