The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Hotel and Tourism Management programme at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is designed to provide a theoretical and research base that prepares graduates for research and education positions in hospitality and tourism.
This programme offers advanced research training based on individual interests and career aspirations, which allows students to develop their ability to complete significant research in a specific area of hospitality or tourism. The intellectual and supportive environment fostered by the School encourages academic staff and students to collaborate to conduct research and disseminate information through scholarly publications, conference presentations, and research seminars. Graduates will make positive contributions to the growth and enhancement of hospitality and tourism research and education. In addition to the regular Ph.D. programme, PolyU and the University of Surrey also join hands to offer Ph.D. programmes that will allow doctoral students from various disciplines to attain a dual Ph.D. from both institutions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The School will give priority to proposed research topics in the following four broad focus areas:
- Smart tourism (including artificial intelligence, robotics, technology innovation, branding, marketing, experience management, and customer engagement)
- Performance measurement and management (including financial and revenue management and measurement, operational management, service management, and event management)
- Tourism futures and forecasting (including demand forecasting and emerging products and markets)
- Policy and planning (including public policy, tourism planning and development)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHospitality Management Tourism & Leisure
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
To be considered for this programme, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A Master's degree with a significant thesis/dissertation research component, at least one degree in hospitality and tourism management or a closely related field, and at least two years of work experience including a minimum of one year industry/relevant experience.
- Candidates without the prescribed educational and industry backgrounds may be admitted on an exceptional basis. Such students will have to obtain relevant industry experience prior to enrolment or during the first year of enrolment, and undertake extra coursework as determined by the supervisor and/or School Research Committee.
- Candidates whose Master's degrees did not include thesis/dissertation research components must provide other documented evidence of previous scholarly research experience.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5110 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5110 EUR per year during 36 months.
National5110 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5110 EUR per year during 36 months.
- The annual tuition fee for full-time students admitted to our research programme is HKD42,100. The annual tuition fee for full-time, self-financed Ph.D. students is HKD84,200.
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.