Call for applications is now open!
- Over 200 fully funded positions available
- Scholarship amount: € 18.854,52 gross per year
- Joint research activity with the non-academic sector
- Pre-PhD scholarships available for candidates admitted within the spring session
The Urban and Regional Development programme is designed to train highly-qualified specialists in urban and territorial development, while promoting the appropriate exploitation of their individual talents, to develop a distinctly multidisciplinary figure, a professional able to adapt to a wide variety of scientific knowledge and areas in a flexible and dynamic way.
The offered training will therefore give to PhD students the possibility to exploit specific skills acquired, to effectively interact with other professionals participating in urban and regional planning projects. Based on multi- and inter-disciplinary PhD skills, the programme intends to move fluidly through the conventional boundaries that separate social sciences from applied technical, engineering, physical-natural sciences.
In order to train specialists who are able to effectively navigate in the global context, the doctoral programme should adopt also a strong international nature, both in the sense of attracting young motivated and qualified scholars from abroad, as well as offering to students a training which corresponds to the highest academic and professional standards, also thank to the contribution of foreign scholars and the organisations of internships in highly qualified institutions.
To stay coherent with the adopted approach the training activity is also developed entirely in English.
The programme is focused on training high-profile scholars and professionals in the field of urban and regional development, which could aspire to an academic career or management positions in public or private structures, related to planning and management of transformation processes that affect the cities, the territory and the environment (detection, monitoring, analysis, evaluation, planning and management of the urban systems, territorial and environmental, infrastructure and transport systems, the transformation works of the soil and subsoil).
The programme is based on the acknowledgement of the young people ambition to look beyond national borders, both while completing their educational and academic training, and while searching for a job.
- Spatial Planning Systems and EU Territorial Governance
- Geomatics and Emergency Management
- Urban Planning and Urban Project
- The Cultural and Social Economy of Post-recession Turin in a Comparative Perspective
- Geo-statistical Tools for Geospatial Mapping Pollution Monitoring
- Urban and Regional Studies
- Methods and Procedures to Generate 3D GIS for Smart City: Security and Safety
- Innovative Methods and Approaches for 3D City Modeling Based on Mass Market System and Crowdsourcing, for Urban Planning and Cultural Heritage
- Decision Support Systems toward Post-carbon City
- 10 Physical Exchange Processes in the Soil and the Surface Boundary Layer
- Environment and Landscape Policies, Planning and Evaluation
- Transport and mobility
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Behavioural theories
- Big data applications in transportation
- Contract management
- Critical and reflexive methodologies in urban studies
- Earth climate and climate change
- Geomatics and gis for environmental application and regional planning
- Innovation and urban governance
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
The call for admission is divided into two separate sessions. The application deadline are on:
- February 11 for the spring session
- May 13 for the summer session
DisciplinesInternational Development Sustainable Development Urban Planning
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Access to PhD courses in Italy can be only achieved by participating in the Calls for Application. At Politecnico di Torino, PhD candidates are admitted after the evaluation of academic qualifications and the following oral interview: as a matter of fact, your skills are evaluated by analyzing your academic and scientific curricula and by the mandatory interview with the Selection Committee.
- You can participate in the Call if you have a Master of Science or if you are planning to obtain such degree by 31st October. In addition, it is required an international certificate of English language (IELTS 5.0 or an equivalent one).
- The GRE General Test will not be required only for students who apply for a CSC scholarship.
- The first Call for Application will be open from 25th January to 11th February. If you are planning to apply for the CSC scholarship, this will be the only useful Call, because if you are admitted as a PhD candidate, the Doctoral School Office will provide you with a pre-admission letter around 15th March: this document will have to be attached to the documents needed for the CSC scholarship application.Furthermore Politecnico di Torino signed an agreement with the China Scholarship Council in which it was established that CSC will provide 5 scholarships for students who are willing to attend the PhD at the Politecnico!
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
The administrative fee is 161 euro.
Living costs for Turin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
PhD scholarships can be with own research topic or with predefined research topic.
The gross annual amount of the scholarship is usually € 15,343.28, but the Politecnico di Torino has chosen to further enhance and promote the value of PhD programmes, increasing the amount of the scholarships to € 18.854,52.
All candidates compete for scholarships with own research topic, unless they explicitly waive their right to receive them.
The scholarships with predefined research topic are associated to particular research topics for which specific skills are required. Those applicants interested in one or more scholarships shall carefully verify which are the field of research and the competences required, as specified in the scholarship descriptive sheet and contact the relevant scientific referee.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.