The doctoral program is designed to prepare individuals for university teaching and research positions or positions in the private and public sectors that require the ability to conduct research in applied contexts.
- The Ph.D. Program in Communication at The University of New Mexico requires 36 hours of course work beyond a Master's Degree, plus 18 credit hours for the dissertation.
- Additionally, 12 credits from M.A. programs/other doctoral programs may be transferred to meet UNM requirements.
Areas of Concentration
- Critical Intercultural Studies: The study of communication, culture, and power in social interactions and discourses, with a focus on the understanding and critique of normative assumptions about communication and cultural practices. Faculty approaches draw on cultural, critical, race, queer/trans of color, decolonial, border, and transnational studies.
- Media Studies: The study and critique of the discourse, organizational practices, political economy, and sociocultural impact of mass media, digital media, and other emerging, mediated forms of communication.
- Health Communication and Culture: The communication processes associated with improving health outcomes, with a focus on understanding the cultural contexts and inequities that determine health outcomes.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommunication Studies View 14 other PhDs in Communication Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Letter of Intent
- Writing Sample
- Assistantship Interest
Living costs for Albuquerque
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.