OM and MIS intersect in various ways. The fields share a focus on understanding and improving business processes. OM and MIS researchers often reside in the same university departments and belong to the same professional societies. The goal of the PhD in OIS is to train the student to perform and publish first-class research, in preparation for a career at a research-intensive university.
OM is concerned with how to organize the production of goods and services by private firms and public sector entities. OM research addresses questions about how best to design, plan, and execute the tasks needed to produce a product or service. OM research has traditionally emphasized mathematical modeling, and in particular optimization, stochastic, and simulation models, but OM research also employs experiments, surveys, and analysis of secondary data.
MIS is concerned with the collection, storage, and use of information within organizations. MIS research addresses questions about how technology and information shape and facilitate the work that is done in organizations. MIS research uses methodologies from a variety of disciplines, including but not limited to the social sciences, mathematics, and computer science.
OM and MIS are closely related to the emerging areas of business analytics and big data.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introductions to Operations Management Research
- Advanced Research Topics in Operations Management
- Individual Research
- Introduction to Management Information Systems Research
- Advanced Research Topics in Management Information Systems
- Multivariate Data Analysis
- Applied Business Analysis of Time Series and Panel Data
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Entrance in January is possible, but it is rare and done only in exceptional cases.
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Sciences Business Information Systems Data Science & Big Data
Admissions to the Business PhD program are based on the following criteria
- Previous academic record: Applicants must have an undergraduate degree from a recognized university and sufficiently high grades. They should also have a grade point average (GPA) for the last two years of full-time study of at least 3.0 out of 4.0 on the University of Alberta grade scale and from Canadian or American schools with a comparable scale.
- GMAT or GRE score
- Letters of reference
- Statement of purpose
- Availability of a suitable supervisor
International9250 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 CAD per year during 48 months.
National5635 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5635 CAD per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.