University History BMSTU started its existence as an independent institution on October 5, 1826. That time the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna issued a decree to establish «great workshops for different crafts with bedrooms, a dining room, etc.» as a part of the Moscow Foundling Home in the German Quarter.
BMSTU has 19 departments providing full-time education. University provides postgraduate and doctorate programs and has two affiliated secondary schools. More than 19,000 students study in BMSTU, and specialties cover all range of modern machine and instrument building. More than 320 doctors of science (Russian degree higher than PhD) and 2000 candidates of science (similar to PhD) teach and do research in BMSTU.
There’re two halls of residence for foreign students.
Each floor has:
The university scientific library is one of the eldest among Russian universities. It was founded in 1830. The library fund includes 2.7 million of storage units of educational and scientific literature. An important part of the library fund is a collection of reports and theses made by BMSTU scientists.