This Creative and innovative university was founded by the great nationalist leader, Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya, in 1916 with cooperation of great personalities like Dr Annie Besant, who viewed it as the University of India. Banaras Hindu University played a stellar role in the independence movement and has developed into the greatest center of learning in India.
The university comprises 3 Institutes, 14 Faculties 140 Departments, 4 Inter displinary Centers a constituent college for women's and 3 Constituents Schools, spanning a vast range of subjects pertaining to all branches of humanities, social science, technology, medicine, science, fine arts and performing arts. It has 6 centres of Advanced Studies, 10 Departments under Special Assistance Programme and a large number of specialized Research Centers.
The university offers a lot centers and labs for specialized research on various disciplines and sciences.
The Banaras Hindu University Library system, the largest University Library System in the country, germinated from a small but precious collection donated by Prof. P.K. Telang in the memory of his father Justice K.T. Telang in 1917 and housed in the Telang Hall of the Central Hindu College, Kamachha.
The Computer Center provides quality service to the University community in computing facilities, E-Mail, etc. It helps researchers to get their research data analyzed, extends Internet facilities in the University, enables access to World Wide Web and provides laboratory facility to the students of science and technology.
The area of the main campus of this premiere Central University is 1300 acres, having well maintained roads, extensive greenery, a temple, an air strip and buildings which are an architectural delight. The Air Field of the campus was started for military training for flying during the second world war. Another campus of the university at Barkachha , in Mirzapur district, covering an area of 2700 acres is coming up.