History
East Stroudsburg Normal School opened its doors on September 4, 1893. A faculty of fifteen greeted a group of 320 students who had entered the two-year programs in Elementary and Science Education. Although the Normal School was originally privately owned, ownership was transferred to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1920, and the name was changed to East Stroudsburg State Normal School.