What is Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)?
Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) focuses on teaching English to people who grew up speaking other languages. Pursuing a degree in TEFL equips you with the methods, theories, and practical skills necessary to effectively teach English in different places around the world, or to foreigners.
In TEFL, students can specialise based on their interests and career goals. The most common specialisations in TEFL are:
- Teaching Young Learners,
- Business English Teaching,
- English for Academic Purposes,
- Language Assessment and Evaluation,
- English Language Teaching Management.
These specialisations are typically offered in postgraduate diploma or Master's degree programmes after a general Bachelor's degree.
What will you learn during a TEFL programme?
During a TEFL programme, you'll gain a robust understanding of the principles and practices of teaching English to non-native speakers. Here's what you'll learn:
- Knowledge of English language structure and usage,
- Effective teaching methods and classroom management strategies,
- Understanding of language acquisition theories,
- Skills in designing engaging lesson plans and materials,
- Insights into cultural sensitivities and global English language use.
Courses you'll likely take include:
- Teaching Methodology: Learning various approaches to teaching English as a foreign language.
- Language Analysis: Studying the structure and use of English, including grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation.
- Lesson Planning: Developing effective lesson plans and learning materials for different learners.
- Classroom Management: Understanding techniques to manage diverse classrooms effectively.
- Language Assessment: Learning to evaluate learners' English language skills.
A TEFL is a good degree for those passionate about education, language, and cultural exchange. The skills you get from TEFL courses are highly transferrable and valued worldwide.
Skills required for a degree in TEFL
The TEFL degree requirements typically include a high level of proficiency in English, strong communication skills, creativity, cultural sensitivity, and a passion for teaching.
What can you do with a TEFL degree?
A TEFL degree can lead to a variety of rewarding teaching careers around the world. The jobs you can get with a TEFL degree include:
- English Language Teacher (in a foreign country or at a language school)
- Online English Tutor
- English for Academic Purposes Instructor (in a university setting)
- Language School Director
- Educational Materials Developer
Whether you're teaching English at a school in another country or tutoring students online from home, TEFL can open up a world of opportunities. So, is a TEFL degree worth it? Absolutely! If you're passionate about language, education, and travel, a TEFL degree could be your passport to a rewarding global career.Read more
View all PhDs in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. Keep in mind you can also study an online PhDs in Teaching English as a Foreign Language.