Aalto University’s strategic objectives is to educate game changers — professionals with the knowledge and capabilities to build a sustainable society and to increase well-being through disruptive change. These capabilities need to be rooted in disciplinary excellence augmented by art, creativity, multidisciplinary collaboration and entrepreneurship.
The Business, Economics and Finance programme of Aalto University provides doctoral students with comprehensive research training in a unique multidisciplinary environment, characterized by a longstanding commitment to research excellence and courageous, low-hierarchy culture with empowered students. The programme is designed for highly-motivated and ambitious aspiring business, economics and finance scholars who have excellent analytical, critical thinking, communication, and interpersonal skills and who are willing to serve as the future leaders in the world of higher education and academic research.
The programme is offered by the School of Business, which is an inclusive, multicultural academic community with excellent students, faculty, and staff. Our faculty features internationally highly-regarded scholars, many of whom are world-leading experts in their field. All doctoral students are assigned at least two dedicated dissertation advisors, who guide their research and mentor their development as scholars and higher education professionals throughout the programme.
The purpose of the Aalto Doctoral Programme in Business, Economics and Finance is to equip its graduates for successful international careers in the world of higher education and academic research.
The programme is designed to provide doctoral students with the knowledge, skills, and capabilities to succeed in demanding, high-level positions in universities, research institutions, think tanks, and other research organizations at regional, national, and supra-national (e.g. the EU, OECD, World Bank) levels. The graduates of the doctoral programme will demonstrate:
- competence to carry out independent and original academic research
- deep and broad discipline-specific knowledge of their field of research
- mastery of the scientific research methods in their respective fields of research
- deep understanding of research ethics
- good project management skills
- enhanced pedagogical and academic leadership skills, and
- strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Essential Academic Skills: Producing Text and Giving Presentations
- Qualitative research: Principles and practices
- Work and Career in Business Schools
- Quantitative Empirical Research
- Overview of Financial and Management Accounting Research
- Advanced Microeconomics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Business Administration Finance View 6 other PhDs in Economics in Finland
- A master’s degree (MSc, MBA, MA) or its equivalent;
- Copies of academic degrees earned with supplements and a certified transcript of courses taken (with English translations);
- A student copy of a GMAT or GRE score from a test taken within the past 5 years. If the applicant’s score can be found in the test owner’s database before the closing of the application time, no student copy is required. Successful applicants typically have a GMAT score well above 600;
- A statement of purpose in English of 1000 words or less describing your motivation for PhD studies and your career objectives;
- One selected academic work: either a copy of your master’s thesis, or another independent research output that you consider best representative of your work (in English or another language agreed with the School of Business admissions);
- Two (2) letters of recommendation.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
There are no fees for doctoral programmes.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.