Successful completion of the course will lead to a dual qualification conferring eligibility to practise as a Forensic and Clinical psychologist.
The Forensic Clinical Psychology from University of Birmingham is run in collaboration with St Andrew’s Healthcare who regularly sponsor their assistant psychologists on the course. Trainees on the course are also sponsored by a range of other partners including Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Trust. We also welcome applications from people who wish to self-fund.
In the Centre for Applied Psychology, we are committed to involving experts by experience in all the different aspects relevant to our teaching and research. The Experts by Experience Steering Committee (EBESC) is a group that meets regularly to discuss, organise and support the work of experts by experience linked to the Forensic Clinical Psychology Doctorate Programme. We comprise members from various backgrounds, including local experts by experience who contribute to the course and staff from the Centre for Applied Psychology.
The course will confer a qualification to work as both a clinical and forensic psychologist at doctorate level within the legal and ethical boundaries of both professions. It is particularly appropriate for those planning to work in a forensic mental health setting where clinical skills need to be supplemented by the ability to carry out risk assessment for public protection purposes, and for those working in forensic settings where mental health needs can be overlooked.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The first two years of the programme provide clinical training with some additional specialist forensic input, taught alongside clinical doctorate students.
- In their first year trainees receive a block of full time teaching in preparation for their placement at the University prior to the start of a ten month placement.
- Individual placements are negotiated with each student to provide foundation competencies in forensic-clinical psychology. Monday is available as a study day and teaching at the University continues on Friday during term-time.
- In their second year trainees follow two individually tailored placements of five months each in the community, within an adult, child or older adult service to complement experience that has been gained in Year 1.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Applications Open - 29 January 2021
DisciplinesPsychology Clinical Psychology View 86 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
- A good honours degree (2:1 or above) in psychology that confers Graduate Basis for Chartership (GBC) from the British Psychological Society. A 2:2 degree classification that confers GBC plus a Masters degree would be considered equivalent to the above criteria. A Masters degree or other relevant academic qualifications would also support an application. Conversion degrees that confer GBC are also acceptable.
- No criminal convictions
- At least 12 months relevant experience of working in a clinical and/or forensic setting which has involved face-to-face contact with clients under the supervision of a qualified clinical or forensic psychologist
- Candidates should apply through the University of Birmingham
- a short research proposal (250-500 words).
- Shortlisted candidates will normally be invited to the university to be interviewed, or in exceptional circumstances they can be interviewed on Skype.
- There are two interviews
International21960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21960 GBP per year and a duration of 48 months.
National13500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13500 GBP per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.