This course was the first Professional Doctorate in Sport and Exercise Psychology to be approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). On completion of this course you will hold a doctoral degree and be eligible to apply to register with the Health and Care Professions Council as a Practitioner Psychologist.
The course offers a unique blended learning opportunity for those who wish to achieve both the highest level of academic degree and vocational qualification to practice as a psychologist within the sport and exercise domain. Holding these dual qualifications is increasingly important for both career and professional development in the field of sport and exercise psychology. Professional Doctorate in Sport and Exercise Psychology is offered at University of Portsmouth .
What you will experience?
On this course you will:
- Gain advanced research skills through the completion of a doctoral level programme of research.
- Be supervised by BPS Chartered Sport and Exercise Psychologists, Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) Registered Psychologists, and British Association of Sport and Exercise Scientists (BASES), Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientists. All supervisors are experienced researcher-practitioners with extensive applied experience.
- Develop advanced ethical, communication, and consultancy competencies in applied sport and exercise psychology practice.
This course is approved by the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) for the purpose of eligibility for entry to the HCPC register as a practitioner psychologist.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Publication and Dissemination
- Proposal for Professional Research and Development
- Professional Research and Development Project in Sport and Exercise Psychology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPsychology Sports Sciences View 17 other PhDs in Sports Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An undergraduate degree or conversion course in Psychology or Sport and Exercise Psychology which confers Graduate Basis for Chartered status (GBC), and a BPS accredited masters degree which confers Stage I of the BPS Qualification in Sport and Exercise Psychology.
- Should an applicant not have completed these prior degrees, it is possible that they could complete these pre-requisites within the department before progressing onto the Professional Doctorate. Applicants are subject to interview. All offers are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7750 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4700 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU, EEA or Swiss students: A Transition Scholarship will be applied to your fees reducing them to the same amount as UK students.
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.