Why study this course?
Breadth of expertise: From medieval Afghanistan to the modern United States, our staff provide expertise across British, European and world history from around 500 to the present day. Our core strengths include medieval history, cultural and social history, politics, economics, religion, war studies, the history of the West Midlands, the history of sexuality and emotion, and the history of the environment.
Stimulating environment: We offer exciting opportunities to participate in the broader research culture of the Department of History. This includes seminars and workshops run by postgraduate research students and those organised by members of staff, which generate a lively inter- and multi-disciplinary research culture, through delivery of papers and broadening intellectual horizons.
Research opportunities: There are a number of opportunities for collaboration across the University, particularly in the fields of Byzantine, Hispanic and Music History, as well as Philosophy, Politics and Economics, help to generate stimulating and rewarding research. The extensive holdings of the University’s library, and ready access to other regional archives and libraries, offer abundant raw material for research.
The History (On-Campus or By Distance Learning) programme from University of Birmingham will provide excellent preparation for your future career, but this can also be enhanced by a range of employability support services offered by the University and the College of Arts and Law.
The University's Careers Network provides expert guidance and activities especially for postgraduates, which will help you achieve your career goals. The College of Arts and Law also has a dedicated careers and employability team who offer tailored advice and a programme of College-specific careers events.
You will be encouraged to make the most of your postgraduate experience and will have the opportunity to:
- Receive one-to-one careers advice, including guidance on your job applications, writing your CV and improving your interview technique, whether you are looking for a career inside or outside of academia
- Meet employers face-to-face at on-campus recruitment fairs and employer presentations
- Attend an annual programme of careers fairs, skills workshops and conferences, including bespoke events for postgraduates in the College of Arts and Law
- Take part in a range of activities to demonstrate your knowledge and skills to potential employers and enhance your CV
A summary of our key research areas, and staff working within those, can be found below.
- Early modern history
- Environmental history
- Gender, sexuality and race
- Global history
- Medieval history
- Modern British history
- Modern European history
- Religious history
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
Flexible – September or January encouraged
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 34 other PhDs in Ancient History in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Our requirements for postgraduate research are dependent on the type of programme you are applying for:
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK, usually in a relevant area.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent), usually in a relevant area.
International19800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19800 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4565 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4565 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK: £2,283 part-time
- International: £9,900 part-time (distance learning only)
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.