We are proud of our expertise in medieval and early-modern literature, in Romantic and Victorian literature, in modernism, and in contemporary writing in English. The department is notable for its breadth of research in English poetry across the periods, and our range of specialist interests includes literary theory, the history of book, literature and science, literature and medicine, literature and the environment, digital humanities, women’s writing and gender studies, queer writing, postcolonial literature, Black British writing, 20th-century American literature, the Gothic tradition, and Welsh and Anglo-Welsh writing.
A large number of graduates from the English Literature programme offered by the University of Bristol develop careers in higher education or work on high-level research projects in the field of English literature; some graduates take up careers in freelance writing and editing.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Areas of research included:
- Early Modern to 1780
- Romantic and Victorian Literature
- American Literature
- Global Literatures
- Literature, Science and Medicine
- Poetry and Poetics
- Creative Writing
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Studies & Classics Liberal Arts Literature View 28 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A master's qualification, or be working towards a master's qualification, or international equivalent. Applicants without a master's qualification may be considered on an exceptional basis, provided they hold a first-class undergraduate degree (or international equivalent).
- Applicants with a non-traditional background may be considered provided they can demonstrate substantial equivalent and relevant experience that has prepared them to undertake their proposed course of study.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18900 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National4475 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4475 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- UK: part-time£2,238
- Channel Islands/Isle of Man: full-time£9,475
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.