The doctoral program in Biomolecules: Structure-Function-Dynamics it is hosted by the Göttingen Center for Molecular Biosciences (GZMB) and is conducted jointly by the University of Göttingen, the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, the Max Planck Institute for Experimental Medicine, and the German Primate Center.
The research-oriented program is taught in English and open to students who hold a Master's degree (or equivalent) in the biosciences, chemistry, physics, medicine, or related fields.
- Extended methods courses
- Colloquia and research lectures
- A progress seminar
- Journal clubs
- Professional skills courses
- Language courses
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
We have no application deadlines and PhD projects in our center can start throughout the year.
DisciplinesBiology Molecular Sciences View 17 other PhDs in Biology in Germany
- our cover sheet (pdf),
- certificates of other relevant examinations (e.g. GRE, if available),
- English proficiency certificates
- statement by (prospective) supervisor incl. preliminary title, starting date of PhD project, prospective thesis committee members (if already known), details on funding (contract/stipend, funding source, duration of funding). If funding is not yet available for the entire duration of PhD or if supervisors plans lab move: include declaration by department that they will take over the supervision and funding.
- short abstract of your PhD thesis half or one A4-page (is only required for the application for the programs Molecular Biology of Cells, Cellular and Molecular Physiology of the Brain and Systems Neuroscience)
- optionally: max. two reference letters,
- optionally: 1 (one) passport photograph.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
- Tuition for doctoral studies is fully subsidized by the government for international and domestic students.
- The administrative semester fee is approx. 300 EUR
Living costs for Göttingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.