In the first, comprising the first academic year, students must prepare the methodological report for their research project and participate in at least five training activities, preferably to be chosen from amongst those offered by the Jaume Vicens i Vives University Institute of History (IUHJVV) or the Department of Humanities. All activities must be approved by the thesis supervisor. The doctoral programme's Academic Committee will assess the research report and training activities completed by the student over the first year in September. If the assessment is negative, the student will be given an additional period of six months to remedy any shortcomings detected in the research report and/or completed activities.
Beginning the second year, students will preferably focus on their research project, under the supervision of their thesis supervisor. The progress they make on their research and any supplementary training activities they complete will be recorded in an annual report, which will be assessed by the doctoral programme's Academic Committee. Students enrolled on the History programme of the Pompeu Fabra University full-time will have to submit their theses at the end of the third academic year, with a possible extension of one additional year.
Lines of research:
- Medieval history
- Comparative history of the Spanish Empire
- History of Latin America (19th and 20th centuries)
- Catalonia and Spain in modern Europe
- History of contemporary Catalonia, Spain and Europe
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Archaeology History
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An accredited undergraduate degree (Bachelor degree or recognised equivalent degree from an accredited Higher Education Institution)
- An accredited graduate/master's degree (equivalent to a Spanish Master Universitario/Oficial, Master's of Research)
- You need to have completed 300 ECTS credits, 60 of those have to correspond to an official graduate, research orientated master's programme
- A photocopy of the undergraduate degree/diploma or Certification/proof of degree completion
- A photocopy of the graduate/master's degree/diploma or Certification/proof of degree completion
- A photocopy of your official final graduate/master's transcript
- A signed declaration of obtaining your graduate/master's degree before the commencement of the master's programme
- To present a research project which corresponds to any of the research lines of the doctoral programme
- Curriculum Vitae
- Identity Card or Passport
International401 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 401 EUR per year during 36 months.
National401 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 401 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.