The research-oriented program in Sensory and Motor Neuroscience from University of Göttingen is taught in English and open to students who hold a Master's degree (or equivalent) in the biosciences, chemistry, physics, medicine, or related fields.
Processing of sensory information and subsequent motor responses form the basis of our interaction with the outside world. Sensory and motor deficits are common and of immense sociocultural relevance.
Exploring the principles of peripheral and central sensory processing, motor programming and response requires a combination of anatomical, physiological and computational skills.
Moreover, a general understanding of sensory coding and its conversion into cognitive processes and motor action relies on integrating specialized sensory curriculum with a broad neuroscience training.
- The program provides a specialized but interdisciplinary training to promote a new generation of scientists with a comprehensive knowledge and state-of-the-art practical and theoretical skills in sensory and motor research.
- In particular, it addresses students with a special interest in understanding cellular mechanisms of sensory processing, sensorimotor transformation and goal-directed behavior.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
We have no application deadlines and PhD projects in our center can start throughout the year.
DisciplinesPhysiotherapy Neuroscience Health Sciences View 8 other PhDs in Neuroscience in Germany
- our cover sheet (pdf),
- certificates of other relevant examinations (e.g. GRE, if available),
- English proficiency certificates
- statement by (prospective) supervisor incl. preliminary title, starting date of PhD project, prospective thesis committee members (if already known), details on funding (contract/stipend, funding source, duration of funding). If funding is not yet available for the entire duration of PhD or if supervisors plans lab move: include declaration by department that they will take over the supervision and funding.
- short abstract of your PhD thesis half or one A4-page (is only required for the application for the programs Molecular Biology of Cells, Cellular and Molecular Physiology of the Brain and Systems Neuroscience)
- optionally: max. two reference letters,
- optionally: 1 (one) passport photograph.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
- Tuition for doctoral studies is fully subsidized by the government for international and domestic students.
- The administrative semester fee is approx. 300 EUR
Living costs for Göttingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.