The Systems Neuroscience programme is hosted by the Center for Systems Neuroscience (CSN) and is conducted jointly by the University of Göttingen, the German Primate Center, the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, and the Max Planck Institute for Experimental Medicine. Please see the webpage (Center for Systems Neuroscience (CSN)) for detailed information.
The research-oriented program is taught in English and open to students who hold a Master's degree (or equivalent) in the life sciences, medicine, or related fields.
- Translational neuroscience focuses
- Functional brain imaging techniques
- Primates as model organisms
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
We have no application deadlines and PhD projects in our center can start throughout the year.
DisciplinesNeuroscience Health Sciences View 7 other PhDs in Health Sciences in Germany
- our cover sheet (pdf),
- certificates of other relevant examinations (e.g. GRE, if available),
- English proficiency certificates
- statement by (prospective) supervisor incl. preliminary title, starting date of PhD project, prospective thesis committee members (if already known), details on funding (contract/stipend, funding source, duration of funding). If funding is not yet available for the entire duration of PhD or if supervisors plans lab move: include declaration by department that they will take over the supervision and funding.
- short abstract of your PhD thesis half or one A4-page (is only required for the application for the programs Molecular Biology of Cells, Cellular and Molecular Physiology of the Brain and Systems Neuroscience)
- optionally: max. two reference letters,
- optionally: 1 (one) passport photograph.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
- Tuition for doctoral studies is fully subsidized by the government for international and domestic students.
- The administrative semester fee is approx. 300 EUR
Living costs for Göttingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Usually, the research group or department provides funding to their doctoral students in the form of either an employment contract or a scholarship (approx. monthly amount of scholarship or net salary: 1100-1400 EUR).
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.