The Wood Biology and Technology programme, offered at The University of Göttingen is designed for highly qualified students who have studied forestry, wood sciences, biology, biochemistry, microbiology, chemistry etc.
Within the PhD-programme every student mainly works on his or her special research project. He or she becomes part of one of these science groups and is supervised by one of the leading professors.
According to the new study regulations each student has two additional tutors (professors) who usually become the co-examiners at the oral exam. PhD-students are entitled to suggest these two persons for this task.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- One major focus of the ongoing research lies on reducing the main technical disadvantages of wood in use: its limited resistance to fungi and insects, its disposition to swell and shrink and its instability to UV-radiation.
- The research groups in Göttingen are developing different new approaches to overcome these technical disadvantages: acetylation, modification with organic silicon compounds, coatings, heat treatment, enzymatic activation etc.
- Another field of research are enzymes involved in wood decay, for example lactases and other redox-enzymes that are of potential use for the wood industry. However, all other topics in the scope of wood science and wood technology can also be dealt with. Research proposals and ideas for related topics are welcome!
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must hold an above-average Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree, a "Diplom" or equivalent in a subject related to the topics of research: forest or wood sciences, biology, chemistry and related fields.
- Candidates are required to document their proficiency in English.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
The semester fee is actually 337,01 Euro (reduced price in case of public financing 262,01 EUR).
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.