The Global Science Graduate Course (GSGC) program of The University of Tokyo welcomes excellent graduates from universities all over the world, fostering world-class science professionals, and standardizes a five-year integrated education scheme in which students attend both the Master’s program and the Doctoral program in sequence. Students on GSGC are also provided with a monthly scholarship during their time on the program and support in finding employment following graduation.
The educational and research objectives of GSGC are to create new streams of knowledge, develop them, and pass them on to future generations in an enduring search for a fundamental understanding of nature. As a global hub for the development and dissemination of scientific knowledge, the Graduate School of Science at the University of Tokyo seeks to build upon its strong foundation of prominent research.
Here, the next generation of scientists learn the principles and methodologies within their field, while evolving into global citizens equipped with the alacrity, ingenuity, and scientific wisdom required to tackle unknown challenges in the future world. In realization of this goal, it has become essential to involve a greater number of international students. This creates a globalized learning environment for the advancement of both cutting edge education and research.
What We Look for in GSGC Applicants
- Those who are capable of grasping phenomena from an objective and global perspective, developing methodologies for clarifying unknown phenomena, and deepening our understanding of nature through concise, logical thought.
- Those who are able to tackle new research targets and explore new frontiers on the basis of original ideas outside of previously established ways of thinking.
- Those who aspire to play an active role internationally at the forefront of science by taking full advantage of the expertise and advanced research abilities gained in their graduate school studies.
- To complete GSGC, students must take courses required by the relevant department. In addition, it is required to attend and present at the exchange meeting seminar and regularly discuss with secondary supervisors.
- Master's students must pass a Qualifying Examination to stay in the program throughout their Doctoral studies and Doctoral students must pass a Final Examination to be qualified to complete GSGC. The course will be completed if and when the students receive their PhD degrees.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- One who has completed, or is expected to complete 16 years of education abroad before entering the Master's Program of the University of Tokyo.
- One who has been conferred a degree equivalent to that of a bachelor’s degree or is expected to be conferred one before entering the Master’s Program of the University of Tokyo from a foreign university or other foreign institution having completed a program with a completion period of three years or more.
- One who has been transferred from a university abroad to the Global Science Course at the University of Tokyo and is expected to graduate by September.
- One who has been approved by the Graduate School of Science of the University of Tokyo through an individual entrance screening as being academically equivalent to one of the three types of students listed above and who is at least 22 years of age.
- Application Form.
- GRE scores.
- TOEFL score.
International5020 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2510 USD per semester during 60 months.
National5020 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2510 USD per semester during 60 months.
- 260,400 JPY per 6 months
Living costs for Tokyo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.