History from Eötvös Loránd University is focused on universal issues in history; even those classes that discuss the history of individual countries lay emphasis on the investigation of the international context. Topics range in time from the French Revolution to the present. We strive to go beyond the conventional Europe-centered approach, thus the history of Asia, the Middle East, Africa and recently of Central and South America is also included and accentuated in the curriculum.
Research Institutes, Universities, Museums, Diplomacy, Press and Media
- Ancient History
- Assyriology and Hebrew-Judaic Studies
- Atelier- Interdisciplinary History Doctoral Program
- Cultural History Doctoral Programme
- Early Modern Hungarian History
- Economic and Social History
- History of the Ottoman Empire, Ottoman Rule in Hungary and the Republic of Turkey
- Medieval and Early Modern World History
- Modern and Contemporary World History
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Modern History View 5 other PhDs in History in Hungary
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Master's diploma with qualification (minimum with 'good' qualification)
- Minimum level of language proficiency (oral): (B2)
- Minimum level of language proficiency (written): (B2)
- Online application form
- Master-level degree
- Research work plan
- Letter of recommendation
- Language certificate
- Other Letter of acceptance from the future supervisor
International4400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2200 EUR per semester during 48 months.
EU/EEA840 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 420 EUR per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Budapest
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.