Normally a Education PhD from Birmingham City University journey begins with a research proposal followed by undertaking an extensive literature review on the topic and research questions identified. Time is spent developing suitable research methodology and exploring appropriate theory. Data is normally collected as part of extensive field work and enquiry.
What's covered in the course?
- Research students in Education will join a thriving research community and be part of one of the University’s Research Centres of Excellence.
- We offer supervision for study either part-time or full-time towards a PhD degree.
- If you are accepted for a PhD, there is a University-wide taught course in research methodologies, and you will be assigned to a director of studies, and at least one second supervisor will also be appointed.
- You will have access to a dedicated research room for postgraduate researchers
- You’re encouraged to publish in collaboration with your supervisors and to take part in research conferences and events
- Childhood Studies
- Early Years
- Post-16 Provision
- Education Policy
- Music Education
- Professional Learning and Development
- Workplace Learning
- Student experience in Higher Education
- Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Management and Leadership in Higher Education
- Historical Research into education
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research Pedagogy View 33 other PhDs in Educational Research in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Applications for research degrees are normally assessed by interview using the following criteria:
- That the Faculty is able to provide the appropriate supervisory expertise and resources for the proposed topic
- That the proposed research seems likely to satisfy the academic requirements of a research degree
- That the proposed research is feasible in practical terms
- That you seem likely to be able to cope with the academic demands of a research degree
- PhD applicants will normally be expected to hold a Master's degree in a relevant area
International12800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12800 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 36 months.
- Part Time £2,204 per year
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.