A PhD in English from Birmingham City Universit enables you to follow a programme of self-directed, independent study, supported by experienced supervisors who are themselves experts in their area. You will also be supported by the wider research community in the Faculty and you will have regular opportunities to attend research seminars, conferences and symposia.
- The School of English at BCU is a small, friendly academic environment that offers excellent support to all of our PhD students.
- As well as a main supervisor (or Director of Studies), you will have a second supervisor to read and comment on your work.
- We have a strong research culture and provide a range of career development opportunities to our graduate students.
- Creative writing
- English linguistics
- English literature
- Drama and theatre studies
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 97 other PhDs in Languages in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To apply for our English PhD research degree you should have, or expect to be awarded, a Masters degree in a relevant English literary or linguistic field from a British or overseas university.
- Exceptional applicants without a Master's degree, but holding a first class Bachelors degree in English, may be considered dependent upon the academic coherence and promise of their research proposal, and its consonance with the academic expertise of the School.
- We also welcome enquiries from potential PhD researchers without formal academic qualifications but with appropriate levels of professional experience.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.