The PhD also has a critical element, roughly 30,000 to 50,000 words of research on a related subject useful to the writing of the creative element or to seeing the work in its literary context.
The Creative Writing PhD at The University of Manchester will require the student to develop their research skills and, to this end, they will be able to undertake a research skills audit and to attend seminars and workshops on research methods in the first year:
- in this way, students undertaking a PhD in Creative Writing will participate in School-wide training seminars which will develop useful research, teaching and IT skills, as well as seminars in relation to publication, authors' rights etc, which will be particularly useful to students of creative writing.
On completion many English postgraduates go (or return) to jobs as teachers or librarians, continue their research, or go to academic jobs.
Career paths are extremely varied, however, as other English postgraduates go on or return to careers in law, publishing, retailing, and a range of other fields.
Coursework and assessment
- The creative element could be a novel, a manuscript of poems, or collection of short stories.
- The word length of this section will normally be around 80,000 words. The critical component will involve a self-reflective and evaluative analysis about some aspect of the creative or research process and will normally be 30,000 to 50,000 words in length.
- This may involve any of the currently debated topics in English and American Studies as they relate to the candidate's creative work: thematic or generic preoccupations, wider literary, theoretical, or poetic contexts, and so on.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 69 other PhDs in Literature in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Academic entry qualification overview
- Successful completion of a Masters course with an overall classification of Distinction, or its overseas equivalent, OR a record of prior publication in the field of creative writing, is a prerequisite for entry to the Creative Writing PhD.
- A research proposal and a sample of your creative work must be included with the formal application materials.
- English language
International19500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19500 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.