Special interests include photo-polymerization phenomena, adhesion, visco-elastic behaviour, surface analysis, X-ray microtomography and a wide range of composite biomaterial behaviour.
The Biomaterials Science and Dental Technology laboratories are well equipped with modern instrumentation for research in this field.
They are at the centre of our large campus, with access to many other special instruments and expertise in, for example, photon science, chemistry, cell biology and materials science.
We use multiple techniques, such as experimental and computational biomechanics and imaging or spectroscopic probes of their underlying micro/nano-scale structure and time-dependent properties.
This allows an enhanced mechanistic understanding of reasons for their clinical success or failure.
Other areas of interest include implant surface characteristics, bioglass formation and properties and dentine occlusion.
About our PhD and MPhil degrees
PhD/MPhil programmes at The University of Manchester are based on individual research projects that last three to four years (PhD) or one to two years (MPhil), working with a specific Primary Supervisor and Co-Supervisor(s).
Applicants are specifically matched with a Primary Supervisor and individual project based on their research interests and background.
Your postgraduate research degree will open up a range of career opportunities after you graduate.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Training and development
- All of our postgraduate research students attend the Doctoral Academy Training Programme delivered by the Centre for Academic and Researcher Development (CARD).
- The programme provides key transferable skills in areas such as commercial awareness, academic writing and public engagement. This training equips our postgraduates with the tools to progress beyond their research degree into influential positions within academia, industry and consultancy.
- The emphasis is on enhancing skills critical to developing early-stage researchers and professionals, whether they relate to effective communication, disseminating research findings and project management skills.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDentistry Biotechnology View 25 other Masters in Dentistry in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Academic entry qualification overview
- Applicants are expected to hold, or about to obtain, an Upper Second class Honours degree (or equivalent) in a related subject area. A Lower Second class Honours degree may be considered if applicants also hold a Masters degree with a Merit classification.
- English language
International45000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 45000 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9000 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.