We also have one of the largest academic IT services in Europe - supporting world-class teaching and research.
The University of Manchester PhD is the major postgraduate research degree. It involves three years of full-time study or six years of part-time study and the preparation of a thesis of not more than 80,000 words that makes a significant contribution to knowledge.
A satisfactory PhD topic is one that a suitably qualified and properly supervised student can bring to completion within the permitted timeframe. Please note, all PhD students are required to undertake Research Training as part of their PhD programme.
- The professional careers open to students who have taken a PhD in French Studies vary widely: some continue their studies to post-doctoral level in academic posts, while others opt for careers in primary or secondary education, in commerce or in administration at the local or national level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Coursework and assessment
- Your research will normally be supervised by two members of staff at the University. Your supervisors will most likely be members of the School, but if your research requires it, the School or Subject area may arrange for supervision by someone outside the School.
- Supervisory arrangements at Manchester are governed by a Code of Practice which is available on the University's website. Regular meetings will be held with the supervisors, and details of each of the meetings will be recorded.
- Research Panels (consisting of at least three academic staff, including the supervisors) are held once per semester to monitor progress.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Literature View 108 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Academic entry qualification overview
- Successful completion of a Masters course with an overall classification of Merit or higher, or its overseas equivalent, with an element of research training, is a prerequisite for entry to a PhD. A research proposal must be included with the formal application materials.
- English language
International19500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19500 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.