From the cultural history of Imperial Germany to contemporary Turkish-German culture, migration studies and cosmopolitanism, from Culture and Dictatorship, German-Jewish studies and Holocaust film to the history of translation, our research explores the interface between politics, culture and identity in the modern German-speaking world across and beyond its national boundaries.
Specifically, 73% of our publications were judged as either 'world-leading' (4*) or 'internationally excellent' (3*); moreover, 85% of our research activity achieved 'outstanding' (4*) or 'very considerable' (3*) public impact in areas spanning policy, public discourse, education, cultural life and society.
- Many of The University of Manchester PhD graduates in German Studies have embarked on successful University careers (at Edinburgh, London, Manchester, Glasgow, etc.). Some have moved into publishing, others have taken up posts in international research projects or dictionary projects.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Recent PhD projects supervised in the Department include studies on:
- Early 20 th -century German Design
- The Ottoman Armenians in German Literature and Journalism
- Melusine figures in Theodor Fontane
- Space and Time in Kleist and Hoffmann
- Disability in Contemporary German Women's Writing
- Holocaust Education
- Gertrud Kolmar
- Turkish-German Literature and Film
- Gender and Sexuality in Contemporary German Culture
- Architecture and Dictatorship
- Turkish German Cinema
- Cosmopolitanism and Contemporary Muslim German Writers
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguages Literature View 56 other Masters in Literature in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Academic entry qualification overview
- Successful completion of a Masters course with an overall classification of Merit or higher, or its overseas equivalent, with an element of research training, is a prerequisite for entry to a PhD. A research proposal must be included with the formal application materials.
- English language
International19500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19500 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.