A PhD is the target of most postgraduate students who relish the opportunity to undertake a research project with intellectual, scientific, industrial or commercial challenges. Individuals with relevant industrial experience are also encouraged to apply for this level of graduate work, which is of particular value for personal and professional development.
Our research students have the opportunity to develop their skills through robust and flexible training that is designed to:
- Develop the research skills needed to plan and conduct research, write a thesis and disseminate research findings to stakeholders and the international research community;
- Gain understanding of the wide variety of research undertaken within the School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering and in relevant disciplines across the University;
- Equip each student with the broader skills to become world leading industry professionals and researchers in the next generation.
All of our research degree programmes are based on supportive supervision in our outstanding research environment. You will carry out a programme of research in a particular area under the supervision of a primary supervisor and one or more co-supervisors.
Your primary supervisor would be a research active member of academic staff in the School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering. Co-supervisors may be from another discipline, another institution or even an external organisation, such as an industrial partner, selected to suit the project scope and specific skills required.
Undertaking a PhD in the The University of Manchester Department of Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace and Civil Engineering is both challenging and rewarding. Not only does it provide you with the opportunity to strengthen your research ability but it will also help you to develop a much wider range of skills, required to develop your career in business and industry or in research and an academic environment.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Our postgraduate research programmes in Mechanical Engineering offer the opportunity to study in a multi-disciplinary team alongside leading academics in the field:
- Drawing on our expertise in advanced machining, resource efficient manufacturing, micro and nano fabrication, bio-manufacturing, laser engineering and more we deliver solutions to improve manufacturing capability, productivity, sustainability and emerging advanced technologies.
- Your research will be supported by state-of-the-art computational and experimental facilities. We have strong links with industry and excellent employability.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 19 other Masters in Mechanical Engineering in United Kingdom
The minimum academic entry requirements for a Doctorate programme are either:
i) a First class UK Honours degree in a discipline directly relevant to the PhD
ii) an undergraduate degree at 2:1 or above and Masters award at Merit level in a discipline directly relevant to the PhD, or equivalent international qualifications
International24500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24500 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.