We particularly welcome students from all health and social care disciplines who have an interest in exploring related subject areas.3-year PhD (FT, PT, FT Distance Learning, PT Distance Learning options)
The Nursing programme of study at The University of Manchester consists of:
- high-quality supervision by two members of staff with appropriate expertise to guide the PhD applicant throughout the study ensuring academic objectives are met and suitable training is provided;
- research and transferable skills training and support;
- taught course units in core research methods;
- independent study;
- an advisor to offer pastoral support.
We also offer a 4-year PhD programme for students who have not previously studied research methods or in the UK, who have limited English language skills or who have not completed master's.
In this programme, the first year is a foundation year designed to prepare you for the ensuing three years of the 3-year PhD programme.
Other training and development
- All of our postgraduate research students attend the Doctoral Academy Training Programme delivered by the Centre for Academic and Researcher Development (CARD).
- The programme provides key transferable skills in areas such as commercial awareness, academic writing and public engagement. This training equips our postgraduates with the tools to progress beyond their research degree into influential positions within academia, industry and consultancy.
- The emphasis is on enhancing skills critical to developing early-stage researchers and professionals, whether they relate to effective communication, disseminating research findings and project management skills.
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesNursing Health Sciences View 183 other PhDs in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An honours degree (minimum Upper Second (2:1)) or the overseas equivalent in a relevant subject
- OR a very good MSc/MPhil/MRes degree from a recognised institution
- OR satisfactory work at postgraduate level (which must include some research training) undertaken for the equivalent of at least one year full-time.
The four-year programme is strongly recommended for anyone who:
- has not studied in the UK before;
- has not completed specific research methods training at master's level and received 'very good' grades;
- has not completed a research dissertation at master's level and received 'very good' grades;
- English language
International19500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19500 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.