If these are completed successfully you will produce an extended research proposal during the summer and will then enrol for an MPhil in Year Two.
- The Film programme is offered by the University of Southampton.
- You will then be upgraded to PhD status towards the end of Year Three if your work is progressing satisfactorily.
- This is an ideal pathway for those new to Film Studies and/or international students as it provides a detailed and intensive taught introduction to Film Studies and provides a series of possible ‘exit' points (MA; MPhil; PhD).
- All of our research degrees can be taken on a part time basis. A part time PhD student would typically be enrolled for a period of seven years.
- Our postgraduate students are an essential part of the Film and Humanities research community at Southampton.
- You will receive regular supervision and training in research and communication skills - both generic and specific to your project.
- You will participate in fortnightly research seminars and are encouraged to contribute to conferences and symposia, both at Southampton and elsewhere.
For more information, please visit the programme website.
- 48 months
- 84 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- Closing date: 3 months before start date (also dependent on funding body deadlines);
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 39 other PhDs in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
All applicants must demonstrate they possess at least a minimum standard of English language proficiency.
Applications will be assessed under the following
- Evidence of general academic aptitude
- Preparedness or promise for doctoral research
- Quality of the research project proposal
- Fit with Southampton's research expertise
Applicant Quality: Your application will be judged against the following criteria:
- it provides evidence that you meet our entry requirements
- it demonstrates your personal suitability and commitment to undertake Doctoral study
- it provides supportive references that indicate your suitability to undertake a PhD
- it demonstrates critical awareness of the scholarly field to which the research will contribute, and appropriate methods to carry out this work
- it may strengthen your application if you can demonstrate genuine interest in working with a named academic in the department
International18000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18000 GBP per year during 48 months.
- International/(distance learning): £9,000
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.