Upon completion of the Ph.D. program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate expert knowledge in a focused substantive area relevant to social work.
- Conduct independent and original scientific research that advances knowledge in a substantive area.
- Communicate scientific findings in an effective way to a range of audiences (from lay persons to other scientists).
- Secure funding for a substantive research agenda.
- Teach students the knowledge, skills, and values they need to be proficient social workers in a substantive area.
The courses are available only in Knoxville. Students and their committees can develop a plan for completing their research in Nashville based on the availability of dissertation resources. Students have the opportunity to work in the Center for Behavioral Health Research as part of their training.
The center focuses on services to children who have experienced mental health problems associated with abuse, neglect, violence and a variety of psychosocial problems. The Social Work program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- The curriculum of the PhD program consists of foundation course work, electives, and dissertation research. The foundation curriculum consists of course work in research methodology and statistics, critical thinking, grant writing, and pedagogy.
- Upon this foundation, students and their academic committees develop a plan of study consisting of course work in social work and other departments of the university.
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.