The doctoral program in Fine Arts from Warnborough College is designed for learners who intend to develop and pursue professional careers in the arts that will require and combine a expertise in both Studio Art and Art History. The Ph.D. program will qualify the graduate as a professional artist and art historian, and will provide a structured but flexible environment in which future artists and arts professionals may develop and realize their potential, in the chosen area(s) of studio specialization and art historical interest.
The Ph.D. in Studio Art or Photography qualifies the graduate to work as a professional in numerous arenas, depending upon the graduate’s area(s) of expertise. Professional opportunities might include fine arts, graphic arts, illustration, fashion and interior design, advertising, teaching, curatorship, art history, art criticism and art theory. Ph.D. recipients are also qualified to work in a variety of employment capacities in arts administration, program development, travel and tourism, as well as in museums, galleries and a host of arts organizations.
The PhD in Fine Arts is particularly useful for students of the following disciplines: Art Therapy, Art Education, Arts administration, Media Studies, History, Theology, Psychology and Social Sciences. However it can also be useful to those who would like to pursue careers such as: Advertising, Fashion, Journalism and Design.
How Will I Learn?
This program is offered via distance learning. Doctoral candidates will therefore be expected to complete a substantial and significant body of work outside of the virtual learning environment.
Students in the program may work independently or in the group studio setting. Independent work will be expected of all graduate students.
On-site and virtual modules will be taught in atelier style. All graduates will be required to submit a professional portfolio and written works, as per standards established by the art department and Warnborough College, and to complete program projects. In addition, students will be required to participate in a graduate exhibit.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Studio Methods, Practices and Procedures
- Critical Terminology for Art Studio Majors
- Designing and Executing an Exhibit
- Cultural History of Art for Fine Arts Majors
- Drawing: Theories and Practices
- Three-Dimensional Design: Theories and Practices
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Start Date: 1st of any month
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 11 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of a Master's degree; or equivalent.
- A full curriculum vitae/resumé.
- A brief autobiography.
- A brief research proposal, if you are choosing either research or projects options. Outline what you would like to do on the program – the research topic, intended methodology, and planned resources. It should be clear and concise, and can be modified later after discussion with your Program Director.
- Copies of all academic transcripts. Please include English translations if your transcripts are in another language.
- Two references. From employers, business partners, and/or academics.
- A scanned copy of your passport or government-issued ID showing your name, date of birth and photograph.
- Two passport-size photographs (if you are posting a paper application).
- Application fee of €100.
- All other relevant and related information or documentation (e.g. scholarship requests, etc.)
International150 EUR/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 150 EUR per credit during 36 months.
EU/EEA150 EUR/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 150 EUR per credit during 36 months.
- €150* per ECTS credit / €300 per US credit
- *Fees refer to tuition only. It does not include ancillary expenses such as required materials (see above), textbooks, internet connections, postage, telephone calls, insurance and printing.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.