Instruction is offered through the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- The Doctor of Philosophy program in Psychology at The University of Iowa requires a minimum of 72 s.h. of graduate credit. Students must maintain a g.p.a. of at least 3.00 to earn the degree.
- Those entering without previous graduate work usually require at least five years to complete the program; those entering with previous graduate training may require less, depending on the nature of the earlier preparation.
- The Ph.D. program places strong emphasis on preparation for research, teaching, and other scholarly endeavors, whether in academic settings or in industrial, governmental, or medical institutions.
- The intent is to produce graduates who are deeply committed to the study of psychology, familiar with fundamental knowledge about psychological processes, well-trained in the methods and techniques for careful investigation of basic and applied problems, and determined to make contributions to the discipline of psychology and to society.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology View 109 other PhDs in Psychology in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
International30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30612 USD per year
National30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30612 USD per year
In-State11665 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11665 USD per year
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.