We prepare our graduates to develop into research leaders in the fields of meteorology and physical oceanography, and thereby contribute to better informing the public and policy makers on how to prepare for hazards and changes in the Earth’s atmosphere and oceans.
Goals of the Meteorology and Physical Oceanography program from University of Miami:
- To advance students’ knowledge and understanding of the physical and dynamical processes in the atmosphere and ocean.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate knowledge in meteorology and physical oceanography.
- Students will demonstrate their ability to conduct research in meteorology and physical oceanography.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of discipline, appropriate methodology, application of knowledge, methodology to original research, critical thinking, as well as effective written and oral communication.
- Physical Oceanography
- Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
- Atmospheric Science
- Large Scale Ocean Circulation: Models and Observations
- General Circulation of the Atmosphere
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Applications received by December 1st will have the highest chance of being invited to our on-site annual recruitment weekend visit in early February.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Hydrology & Water Management Marine Studies View 19 other PhDs in Marine Studies in United States
- The application will ask you to identify up to 5 faculty with whom you are interested in. See above statement for more details on this.
- Upload PDF of Statement of Purpose identifying your goals and objectives in pursuing a graduate degree. If you have already identified RSMAS faculty you are interested in, please be sure to include this information here as well.
- Upload PDF of unofficial transcripts (for review purposes only). See below statement on transcripts for more details on this.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons well situated to evaluate your qualifications for graduate study. The online application will ask you to enter your recommender's email addresses for the RSMAS recommendation letter form to be sent to them.
- Non-refundable application fee ($85).
International65100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2170 USD per credit during 24 months.
National65100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2170 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.