Our researchers cover a variety of topics, from climate change to migration, and our students have very varied backgrounds. Postgraduate researchers will be encouraged to participate in seminars, conferences, and reading groups in the Philosophy department.
You can study in traditional PhD format, or through our PhD by Papers option. Rather than writing a single book-like thesis examining a single topic, a PhD by Papers gives you the choice of writing a thesis comprising of several separate (though thematically unified) papers, in the style of philosophy journal articles.
You can study the Global Ethics programme from University of Birmingham full-time or part-time, on campus or by distance learning. The College of Arts and Law is experienced in delivering high-quality distance learning to students all over the world.
Why study this course?
- World-leading research: Times Higher Education ranked the Department of Philosophy second in the country for its performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework exercise, with 49% of our research judged to be ‘world-leading’.
- Employability skills: Birmingham’s Philosophy postgraduates develop a range of skills that are highly desirable in the job market, including: articulacy; precise analytical thought; clarity; rigour in formulating complex problems; and the ability to analyse and construct sound arguments.
- Staff expertise: The Department is home to an expanding, energetic and friendly community of philosophers that address the practical and theoretical issues raised by globalisation. Our staff produce world-leading research in all core areas of contemporary philosophy in this area
- Postgraduate community: Our postgraduate students play a very active role in the life of the Department and the atmosphere among students and staff is lively, friendly and supportive. They are important contributors to our on-going research activities, including our Research Seminars and Events, such as our weekly speaker series and various workshops and conferences throughout the year.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Department is an international hub of interdisciplinary research, which focuses on justice and development, environment and health, gender justice, and conflict and security.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
Flexible – September or January encouraged
DisciplinesInternational Relations Philosophy & Ethics International Development View 38 other PhDs in Philosophy & Ethics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Our requirements for postgraduate research are dependent on the type of programme you are applying for:
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK, usually in a relevant area.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent), usually in a relevant area.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19800 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4565 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4565 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK: £2,283 part-time
- International: £9,900 part-time (distance learning only)
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.