The School of Mathematics is home to a rich and diverse community of researchers in Pure Mathematics, and provides many exciting opportunities for postgraduate study.
Research degrees are organised around five broad themes: Algebra; Analysis; Combinatorics, Probability and Algorithms; Geometry and Mathematical Physics; Topology and Dynamical Systems.
The Pure Mathematics programme from University of Birmingham is committed to providing an inclusive learning environment that supports talent and encourages creativity. Training is provided through individual supervision of research, regular seminar series and study groups in each of the themes, advanced taught courses, and participation in research networks, workshops and conferences.
Why study Pure Mathematics PhD at Birmingham?
- The School of Mathematics has a strong research culture, with researchers of international stature in each of its main specialisms.
- The University of Birmingham is one of the prestigious Russell group research-intensive Universities in the UK. The School of Mathematics attracts gifted graduate students from across the world.
- The PhD degree usually involves a qualifying dissertation submitted during the second year of study, which is helpful training for writing a PhD thesis.
- We are internationally renowned for our world-leading research, which involves international and multidisciplinary collaboration.
- We have strong research groups in algebra, analysis, combinatorics, continuum mechanics, initiatives and infrastructures, mathematical biology, nonlinear systems, numerical analysis, statistics, and theoretical and computational optimization.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Contact us for start date.
DisciplinesMathematics Actuarial Science View 55 other PhDs in Mathematics in United Kingdom
A 2:1 Honours degree in a Mathematics-related subject, or a lower degree plus an MSc or substantial relevant experience. Learn more about entry requirements.
International19380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19380 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4565 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4565 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.