Objectives and justification
The Tourism programme of the Autonomous University of Barcelona has the following objectives:
- Train new researchers who can fill the gaps detected in academic and industrial research, and address the issues, future challenges and questions posed daily by the tourism sector.
- Promote innovative research that can help in adopting new tourism models based on social, environmental and economic sustainability
- Apply the scientific method to obtain tools, innovative products and planning strategies that can lead to a tourism sector that is outstandingly well organised, diverse, forward-looking and sensitive to social, environmental and economic issues – in contrast to the improvisation and lack of models that characterised the previous stage of tourism development in this country.
The ideal student profile should consist of the following: good academic record, research vocation, communication skills, language competence, and an ability to conduct quantitative and qualitative research (or a clear willingness to acquire this). It is also an advantage to have qualifications in Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences or Law.
In any case, a requirement for all students is direct or indirect prior knowledge of the tourism sector – especially from having taking a master's degree. Students must also have the necessary knowledge and skills concerning the basic concepts and tools for conducting competitive research in the field of tourism. For this reason, priority of access to the PhD programme in Tourism is given to applicants with a research-oriented master's degree linked to one of the programme's disciplines or lines of research.
This PhD programme provides the following principal career options.
- University lecturer specialising in tourism
- Consultant and/or entrepreneur with expertise in the creation and development of tourism products
- Manager and director of tourism businesses and institutions
- Tourism planning officer and manager of public-sector policy on tourism
- Expert on sustainable and social tourism development
- Manager of the cultural heritage with links to tourism
- Analyst of tourism markets and commercialisation strategies
Lines of research:
- Administration and Organisation of Tourism Businesses and Institutions
- Analysis of Tourism Markets and Creation and Innovation of Tourism Products
- Tourism, Territory, Landscape and Environment
- Tourism, Culture, Heritage and Language
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Hospitality Management Tourism & Leisure View 3 other PhDs in Hospitality Management in Spain
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Certification or academic record of the Degree or the Spanish or foreign degree
- Certification or academic record of the Master's Degree / Doctoral Program
- Certification or academic record of the DEA or the Research Proficiency
- Motivation letter
- Research project or plan
- DNI / Passport
- Curriculum vitae
- Reference letters
- Document of acceptance of the academic tutor
- Document of acceptance of the thesis supervisor
- If the thesis supervisor is external to the UAB, CV of the thesis supervisor with investigative merits: doctor's degree, publications, research projects, congresses
- Language level accreditation
- Accreditation of courses on quantitative and / or qualitative methodological techniques
International540 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 540 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA540 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 540 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.