PhD program in Eurasian Studies Program at Nazarbayev University is the first interdisciplinary, English-medium doctoral program in the Humanities and Social Sciences in Central Asia. It is designed according to the highest international standards and taught by highly-qualified faculty, but at the same time is adapted to the educational, social and intellectual environment of Kazakhstan and the wider region.
Students have the space, time and flexibility they need to write a doctoral thesis that makes an original contribution to the field. Funding opportunities for research abroad and co-supervision by NU and non-NU experts enables our students to develop a truly international profile.
We train students to become versatile and internationally competitive scholars on the Eurasian region. Graduates from this doctoral program share a range of qualities and abilities, as well as field-specific skills that make them both “interdisciplinary” and “flexible.” Truly interdisciplinary research demonstrates a solid grounding in one discipline and sufficiently deep training in one or more others, which enables the scholar to build real bridges between various disciplines. Graduates of this program combine strong disciplinary and interdisciplinary training with a first-hand knowledge of the region, a command of the primary and secondary sources consistent with world-class scholarship on this region of the world, knowledge of requisite research languages and excellent academic English.
Work after graduation
- International organizations
Work permits for Kazakhstan
- If you are from Kazakhstan, you won't need to prepare and apply for a work permit.
- GA opportunities are available
- PhD students are not recommended to work, as they need to focus on their research
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Critical Issues in Eurasian Studies
- Proseminar in Eurasian Humanities OR Proseminar in Eurasian Social Sciences
- Dissertation Research
- Advanced Academic Writing
- Doctoral Seminar
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies European Studies
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- an undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant discipline;
- a Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline or a PhD degree or equivalent (if applicable) in a relevant discipline. During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
- a competitive CGPA in applicant’s Master’s (or equivalent) degree.
- strong reading, analytical, and mathematical skills (as appropriate to the focus of the applicant’s research) as demonstrated by GRE test;
- high motivation and strong interest in the Program as outlined in a personal statement;
- strong academic writing ability as demonstrated in a writing sample (academic paper, essay, published article);
- relevant research interest and knowledge of research subject (including appropriate disciplinary training and research language preparation) as demonstrated in a written research proposal.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23500 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National23500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23500 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
- 9,235,500 KZT per year
- PhD stipend 150 000 KZT
The sources of funding can be:
- the state educational order;
- a specific scholarship and/or sponsorship;
- applicant’s own expense.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.